IBM Thinkpad R32: Problem with ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY

Hello!

I bought a new Thinkpad R32 a few days ago.
The first thing I did was resizing the main partition and installing Linux (Debian Sarge).
I got it all running, except the 3D hardware acceleration with "drm".
Trying to start tuxracer or glxgears results in "illegal instruction" output. After this the mouse or/and trackpoint don't work any more. I have to restart the X-Server. A colleague of mine has got nearly the same notebook. I've got a 2.0 GHz P4 and he's got a 1.8 GHz. The rest is all the same. I tried to use his kernel, to see if the problem is located there - that does not seem to be the case: same problem.

I hope someone has got a solution to this problem. 3D acceleration is not, what I bought the notebook for, but I think everything should work...

Thanks in advance

Tobias Ramforth

PS: I removed the "drm" option in the XF86Config-4. Then everything works slowly but fine.