DELL Inspiron and some problems

Hello *

I have a big problem with a DELL Inspiron 8100. After nearly a year
working with this machine running Debian Woody, I suddenly had some
problems with the fans. After a suspend-to-RAM, and the wake-up 5
Minutes later, it startet with running both at full speed - even after
I cooled down the computer for more than an hour (so I'm sure, it is
not too hot).

The DELL support told me to update the BIOS (it was A08, now I updated
up to A14): Result: the fans are working correctly now (Why? Questions
over questions), but now I have problems with the keyboard and the
clock is loosing around 5 Minutes an hour. :-(

But the more anoying problem is the keyboard: it swallows some letters
from time to time (around 6 letters when writing about 3 sentences).
DELL support changed the keyboard, but this did not help.

So my question is: is here someone around who made the same or similar
experience.

And of course even more interesting: is there some possibllity to cure
this "desease"[1]. Maybe some kernel options to set[2]. I would try to
downgrade the BIOS again (but this seems to be not so easy, as the
support told me, and of course not recommended by them. The new one is
better, they say).

[1]DELLs solution now: take one of our supported OS (AKA Windoze). =:-/

[2] Kernel is 2.4.20. The config file is on
http://www-ae.e-technik.uni-rostock.de/home/karo/Configs/Kernel-Config.I8100
Sorry, but the rest of the site is mostly in german, the english part
is very "work in progress".

Thanks for any help.

--

Karsten Rothemund,
Institut f. Allgemeine Elektrotechnik, Universitaet Rostock