Re: Hi again. How to boot into gdm?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 10:57:38PM -0500, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> I've got Woody installed, starting from r0 CD, but getting all packages
> from the net.  During install, I chose gdm as default boot manager, and

Display manager, that is. Boot managers are things like lilo and brub.

> selected all sorts of Gnome from dselect, which appears to have been
> duly installed.
>
> The system boots to a text prompt.  I want it to boot to gdm.

Check your runlevel, by typing runlevel in console. It's 2 by default.
Then check which services are started for your runlevel in
/etc/rcX.d/, where X is the number of your runlevel. If gdm is missing
there, just add it there.

> Also, gdm won't allow me to log in as root.  ??

You don't want to do that anyway. Just log in as a normal user and user
su / sudo to do tasks which require superuser rights.

[e]

>e@hq.sk<                   /(bb|[^b]{2})/                 >http://hq.sk/~euro<
        "always know what you say, but do not always say what you know"