Re: Anti-aliasing: xfstt or xfs-xtt ?!?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:37:30PM +0000, Joao Pedro Clemente wrote:

> I notisted my kde fonts were somewhat arcaic so I figured out I needed
> anti-aliasing. The antialiasing-howto deb package had a doc that talked
> about
> xfs-xtt
> but I found (with apt-cache) a xfstt.... They seem somewhat similar...
> Any clue?

They are a bit different in the logic they use to provide a font.

xfstt was older, in fact may have been the first TTF provider for X.
It uses freetype on its own, transforms the font into something X
normally expects to see, and offers up that.   In the days of X 3.3.x
this was a big deal.  Now that X4 knows how to honor Freetype on its
own the normal xfs is probably preferred.  However, if you were having
trouble with that for some reason... perhaps you'd still want it.

xfs-xtt was entirely written seperately, by people with foreign
character sets, to whom it was important how the character came out,
because one blotch out of order is an entirely different letter.  Thus
its rendering attitude is different.  I don't recall if it uses freetype
but I suspect it doesn't.

But in terms of an external font server optimized for TTFs, yes, they
both do that.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078