help install toshiba satellite 2435/S255

Dear all,

I am trying to install a dual partition with linux and xp on my recently bought toshiba satellita 2435/S255, 2.4P4, 512. I have unsuccessfully tried to boot red hat and knoppix (they both die very early on in the process). All attempts to fiddle around with options for these two systems have failed too.

Rumors are that Debian and/or SuSE however boot without problems. I am looking for some confirmation that this is indeed the case. I would be very grateful to hear from someone who has managed to successfully set up Debian on this toshiba system (or a close one).

thanks, matt.