Re: What to choose? Mac or PC?

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 23:46, Serge Rey wrote:
<snip>

> 2) airport card. my reception seems to be ok despite reports by other
> tibook owners that this can be lousy. at the moment i'm having problems
> with some network apps - ssh/scp work fine on the aiport but browsing is
> not so good (time-out problems). the onboard nic works just fine
> however.

Allow me to de-lurk for a moment. :)  w/ regards to your airport card,
my I suggest the following url:
http://www.macnet2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=11561   (scroll down to
UPDATE: Following a call to Apple)   I don't personally own a TiBook but
I've  heard that this procedure has done wonders for their Wifi
reception.

> in summary, the x20 has been my main laptop for going on 3 years now. it
> has seen heavy use and although one keyboard and one drive have died on
> me, they were under the original (3-year) warranty and replaced by big blue. the
> pb comes with only a 1 year warranty by contrast and i've heard from
> other tibook owners that shelling out the $ for the extended care might
> be a wise investment.
>
> at the moment if i had to pick one machine i'd stick with the x20. as i
> figure out more about the pb this might change down the road however.

I dual-boot Debian/WinXP Pro on an (upgraded) IBM Thinkpad 600. Runs
sid/gnome2/mozilla ok, but I would recommend a lighter WM/galeon
though.  I have 10/100Ethernet and 802.11b PCMCIA Cards from SpeedStream
and they work very well.  Please note that I'm running Sid/unstable;
the version of the PCMCIA package in Woody does *NOT* support these
cards (out of the box anyways).

A discussion regarding linux on Laptops appeared on Slashdot a day or
two ago(too lazy to look right now).  People there offered up some
links.  I offer the few that I can rememeber here:

http://www.powernotebooks.com/
http://www.discountlaptops.com/
http://www.emperorlinux.com/

I hear that certain Dell Laptops are very linux friendly. As are certain
T Series Laptops from IBM.  I would love to own a Powerbook but I find
that they are simply too expensive and the linux experience isn't quite
as "smooth" as it is in the x86 side.

--
Randy Duran <rduran@verizon.net>