Framebuffer on toshiba

I've been trying to get de frame buffer working on my
toshiba 2060, I've recompiled my kernel (2.4.18) with VGA
text console and video mode selection support enabled. I
also have the vga=ask option in lilo.conf. When I boot and
I'm asked to choose a mode I've tried several 800x600 and a
few 640x480 all i get is a blank screen (the backlight is on
but the screen is dead). The system boots (i see de HD light
going on and off) but i cant see a thing.

Any ideas
thanks

PS: I know it is possible to do this because knoppix gets it
working pefectly.