Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K

Werner,

> > If I do 'cardctl ident' when the Sony CD-reader PCMCIA is
> > inserted I get:
> >
> > : Socket 0:
> > :   product info: " ", "NinjaATA-", "V1.0", "AP00 "
>
> Werner Heuser <Werner.Heuser@web.de> suggests:
>
> So try to configure it in /etc/pcmcia/config or
> better e.g. /etc/pcmcia/sony_cd.conf
> see http://mobilix.org/pcmcia_linux_tips.html for details.

I looked at your pcmcia_linux_tips page.   I also note
that your pages list that the SONY PCGA-CD51/A works under
Linux ... which is encouraging.  Unfortunately the page
does not give any suggestions on how to make it work.

Here is what I tried:

Since /etc/pcmcia/config suggests that new information
should go in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts ... and you suggested
adding a file /etc/pcmcia/sony_cd.conf, I added

: source ./sony_cd.conf

to the end of /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.  Then I created the
file /etc/pcmcia/sony_cd.conf and put in it

: card "NinjaATA-"
: version "V1.0"
: bind "ide_cs"

Now when I insert the pcmcia card for the SONY cd-reader,
I get in /var/log/syslog

: Feb 16 09:35:17 hypathia cardmgr[335]: socket 0: Ninja ATA
: Feb 16 09:35:17 hypathia kernel: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
: Feb 16 09:35:18 hypathia cardmgr[335]: executing: 'modprobe ide_cs'
: Feb 16 09:35:19 hypathia cardmgr[335]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

I do not have anything else plugged into my laptop,
so I do not understand the "socket 0 failed: Resource
... unavailable" messsage.

I am really guessing here, which is probably because of
my ignorance.

Would you please give another hint or suggest another
document I should stare at?

> After inserting the card try `dmesg' that will reveal the
> device, it's not neccessarily /dev/cdrom

When I did this the only difference between the output of
'dmesg' prior to inserting the card and after inserting
the card is

: cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.

Thanks!

Blair