Re: [OT] subscribe bpark79@hotmail.com

* Hubert Chan (hubert@uhoreg.ca) wrote:
> [brought back to the list as requested]

thanks, i need to remap my list-reply key... :D

> iain> * Hubert Chan (hubert@uhoreg.ca) wrote:
> >>  Gnus is a pain to set up, but once it gets going, it's wonderful.
> >> It's the only mail reader that I know of that can fetch mail via an
> >> ssh
>
> iain> fetchmail does this. :D
>
> Interesting.  I remember looking at fetchmail a while back, but it
> didn't quite look like what I wanted.  And I don't remember seeing
> anything about ssh fetching at that time.  I may have to take another
> look at it.

grab the fetchmailconf package as well, it makes things rather easier to
test.

> >> connection (so that I can fetch my mail from the Uni without exposing
> >> my password), read news over an ssh connection, etc.  I have a
> >> laptop, so I
>
> iain> slrn{, pull} does this. :p
>
> Nice.  Well, I wouldn't want to use slrn, since gnus does both mail and
> news, and I don't really want to keep my own local spool.

i haven't found anything other than slrn + gnus that do snews:, and
emacs scares me, so i'm stuck with slrn for now. :(

> >> have gnus detect where I am, and switch configurations based on that.
> >> Gnus is probably overkill for a lot of people (especially if you
> >> don't already use emacs), but for me, it just works exactly the way I
> >> want it to.
>
> iain> i have tried to like emacs, but i just can't...
>
> iain> vim just feels right to me.
>
> Yeah.  I know the feeling.  I've just recently learned to tolerate vim
> (although I still hate plain vi), but I mainly just use it for small
> editing jobs on the console, when I don't want to wait for emacs to
> load.  I'm just more comfortable in emacs.

bizarrely, i can't ever use vi-mode on the console, but i barely need to
think about the bindings in realvim...

iain

--
wh33, y1p33 3tc.