Re: 3com network card, trouble w pcmcia-modules

Hi Micha,

Well maybe next message I'll change the subject to "network config"...

Card Recognized! problems with debian packaging... isn't that why I decided on debian rather than Mandrake? It was because I was expecting the packaging to work better... hmph.

Of course the network stuff isn't configured yet, so it's not seeing the router yet... netenv was my very first step when the card didn't work, but way back then I should have been paying attention to the lack of beeping sounds.

The big problem I had here is that pcmcia-cs was not properly installed, but it THOUGHT it was properly installed. apt-get said it was properly installed, and so did the K Package tool - but most of the files listed in dpkg -L pcmcia-cs were not installed! The entire directory /etc/pcmcia is supposed to be filled with all kinds of configuration and data files, and the directory was totally empty - so pcmcia-cs somehow got messed up. And that's what was causing all the problems.

So since it thought it was properly installed, I had to uninstall pcmcia-cs (and pcmcia-module-xx) and reinstall them both, and TADA! two high beeps, card properly identified and configured.

>> >In /etc/modutils/ether, try to define alias eth0 3c589_cs
>> >(don't forget update-modules afterw.)
>>
>> No such file exists /etc/modutils/ether
>ok
>Anyway, it's probably not the main point now.
>(But for setting up your eth0 later, you just can create this file, and put
>any options for the module there.)
>But let's put off all network configuration ( ifconfig stuff ) for now.
>Focus is how to get your card detected by the kernel / modul.

Well, it's about time for network stuff now :) But I should do a little reading before going straight to questions; but I may as well tell you what I've got:

Last problematic message was:

Feb 11 02:22:09 lakshmi cardmgr[246]: + Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

>Why testing ? I thought you're running stable woody ?
>Please check your /etc/apt/sources.list. Maybe it's out of date.
>My woody apt tells me 'pcmcia-modules-2.2.20' are compiled for 'kernel-image
>2.2.20-5'.

Well, the kernel image 2.2.20-5 is stable, but the pcmcia-modules-2.2.20-5 is testing, and there is another version of it that is marked unstable. But I had to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.20-1 which is what came on the CD, because I couldn't find a pcmcia-modules-2.2.20-1.

>> >Is there a /etc/pcmcia/config ?
>>
>> No. It seems like the pcmcia-modules wasn't installed correctly but... I
>
>There it is.
>What says 'dpkg -L pcmcia-cs' and the same for 'pcmcia-modules' ?
>Also try 'dpkg -s pcmcia-modules' and 'dpkg -C' and
>'dpkg-reconfigure pcmcia-modules'

yup, that sure was it!
Thanks,
David