Re: Making the power button smarter?

From: "Brian Kendig" <brian@enchanter.net>

> Sebastian Henschel wrote:
> > this will not work if ACPI does not recognize the button, check if
> > /proc/acpi/button/power/PWRF/info exists.
>
> I have no '/proc/acpi'; what do I need to have installed for it to
> appear?  I have the 'acpi' and 'acpid' packages installed...
>
> I do have '/proc/apm' which is a one-line file with some stats; should
> I use that instead somehow?

Probably.  Possibly not.  It depends whether you have an apm or acpi BIOS.

> Or maybe since I have 'acpid' installed, I shouldn't have 'acpi'
> installed?  It looks like 'acpi' is just for compatibility with the old
> 'apm' stuff?

Everything I've seen makes it quite clear that acpi is the replacement for apm,
so I'm not sure where you'd get that idea. acpid is simply a daemon for
monitoring and reacting to acpi events.  Without acpi, acpid doesn't do a thing.