Re: XF86Config-4 on TP 760EL

Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * David Woyciesjes <dwoyciesjes@comcast.net> [2003 Jan 31 16:46 -0600]:
> > Okay, I'm starting to get stumped...
> >
> >       I've gotten Debian 3.0r1 installed on my Thinkpad 760EL
> > I've tried getting X running, to no avail...

> Hi David.
>
> Only luck I ever had was with XFree 3.3.6.  Sorry.
>
> I never had a chance to try XFree 4.2.x as the laptop is no longer in my
> posession.  Perhaps you might try updating the system to Testing and
> trying the 4.2.x packages.  There is likely older hardware that XFree
> 4.x will never support and my guess is the EL falls in that category.
> Also, I was never able to get anything beyond 256 colors at 800x600.
> Any attempt would leave an ugly gray hash along the bottom of the screen
> and this was tried with two different ELs, so the problem appears to be
> fundamental to the video chipset.
>
> The ED runs XFree 4.2.x flawlessly, but you'll have no sound support.
>
> - Nate >>

	Hmmm. Well, sounds does work on the EL, I can hear something playing
when I blindly login to X...
	I assume the XF86COnfig and XF86Config-4 files have tghe same layout,
right? I got a XF86Config file, that works on an EL (running RH 7.1). So
I'll use thatas a starting point...

--
---Dave Woyciesjes
---ICQ# 905818