Power Management Issues

About a week ago I began observing the following behavior in my laptop:

-After placing the latptop on the coffee table and standing up, my kne brushed the corner causing an ESD -Since then, when I leave the laptop idle for more than two hours, the monitor and HDD shut off (as specified in my BIOS settings) but will not wake again (before I reflashed my BIOS it seemed that this was happening with a shorter idel period)

-This is what I have tried so far:
 -re-flashed the BIOS with latest version from Toshiba
 -adjusted the power management settings from the BIOS
-left the computer idle for varying periods of time with basically the same result (after 2 hours, no wakeup) -have experimented with leaving the battery in place and also with removing it after fully charged, leaving the machine to run on AC power alone (no this did not help)
 -tried modyifying the settings in xscreensaver-demo (to no effect)
-tried killing the xscreensaver daemon before I went to sleep (again, no effect) -The real kicker: this problem does not occur under Windows XP. I have already tried leaving the machine running overnight under WinXP (instead of Debian) and it always wakes up properly, regardless of how long the machine has bee idle.
-This behavior is also not creating any log files that I am able to find.

Machine Specs:
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S401
PIII-700MHz
256 MB RAM
S3 Savage-IX/MV 8MB video
20 GB HDD
internal floppy and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
Debian Woody 3.0r1 (stock bf2.4 kernel)

I am at a loss to what the source of the problem could be. I would appreciate any help.

-Roberto Sanchez