Got 3com card working, still have 1 question

After some more digging around and a lucky hunch I tried
  insmod 3c59x
and got the card working.
When I ran pppoeconf it asked me whether I wanted it to automatically open a connection at boot time. I said no, so it said I can start the connection with:
  pon dsl-provider
and stop it with:
  poff

That works, but I have to open a shell window and su as root to execute either command. I am uneasy about being temporarily logged in as root in order to start/stop DSL connections. Any suggestions of a more secure and elegant method of start/stopping DSL connections?
Pietro