Re: X crashes if I'm idle

Ivan Uemlianin wrote:

Dear All

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on an IBM Thinkpad A31p.

X is in VESA mode, as the Thinkpad has unsupported Radeon video.

If I'm in X (Gnome) and I'm idle for a while (10 mins?) X crashes. The error messages seem to be to do with trying to run a screensaver. Now, I have xscreensaver installed, but opening Gnome Control Center's screensaver tab causes X to crash instantly. Same thing happens when xscreensaver is not installed. I'm happy not to have a screensaver, and/or for the screen to just go blank like it does when in console mode.

Hi,

I had the same problem and i think i've fixed it. My laptop is a Clevo 2700C with a SiS 630s core, and my debian is Woody 3.0r1 with security.debian.org updates and kde3.0.5a from kde and XFree86 4.2.1.

What i've done:

Recompiled the kernel without any BIOS support:

CONFIG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS is not set
CONFIG_PCI_GODIRECT=y

I've setup my APM like this:

CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

and my processor setup is like this:

#
# Processor type and features
#
# CONFIG_M386 is not set
# CONFIG_M486 is not set
# CONFIG_M586 is not set
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
# CONFIG_M686 is not set
CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y
# CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
# CONFIG_MK6 is not set
# CONFIG_MK7 is not set
# CONFIG_MELAN is not set
# CONFIG_MCRUSOE is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIPC6 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP2 is not set
# CONFIG_MWINCHIP3D is not set
# CONFIG_MCYRIXIII is not set
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
# CONFIG_RWSEM_GENERIC_SPINLOCK is not set
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_PGE=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
# CONFIG_TOSHIBA is not set
# CONFIG_I8K is not set
# CONFIG_MICROCODE is not set
# CONFIG_X86_MSR is not set
# CONFIG_X86_CPUID is not set
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_MTRR=y
# CONFIG_SMP is not set
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y

After this, my KDE never crashed anymore when it went idle.

Hope it helps you.

Bye,
Paulo Lopes.