Re: Dell cpu speed toggle (was: Temperatur weirdnes)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Dan Christensen wrote:

> "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> writes:
>
> > On I4000 (bios A16):
> >          fn+#        Toggle CPU speed

Yes - I had tried that before with no luck. But the missing peice of info
was the X keycode. Thanks for that one...

> For the record, with a US keyboard this is fn+\ (backslash, above
> the enter key).  I didn't reboot with the slow setting, but based
> on some timings, this seems to switch my I4150 from 2 GHz to about
> 450 MHz.  However, it doesn't cause the temperature to be any lower,
> and apm doesn't seem to think my battery is going to last any longer.

bogmips tells me 650 when in high speed mode. This corresponds with its
clock freq of 650 (interestingly, since the bogomips count at bootup is
twice the clock-speed). When in low speed mode, it tells me 110!

APM only tells you what the BIOS told it. The bios doesn't know that it is
going to power on for longer because the speed it lower. It only learns
from repeated charging/dischargings.

> Has anyone else tested battery life with the slow cpu setting?

I would be curious to know. Personally, I never run my batteries fully
down.

cat ~/.signature
File size limit exceeded (core dumped)