Re: HP Laptop acpi

well, I do not know how to configure ACPI with out recompiling the kernel.

go into the top level directory of your kernel source, do a make xconfig, go
to the bottom of general setup enter the ACPI menu, activate everything
except teh second option (somthing about the processor only) save the
configuration and then do a make kpkg kernel-image <name your kernel image>

and then install the .deb file found one directoy up.

however, I like to have al the control over my compile. and it is realy
simple if you just remember this:

go into top level source directoy for your kernel

make xconfig

on one line type: make dep bzImage modules modules_install

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuzTEST (or what ever else you want to
name it as long as it is not plain old "vmlinuz" as that will over write
your old WORKING kernel.)

nano /etc/lilo.conf and go to the bottom. there you will find the list items
for lilo, copy the lilo entry for yor main kernel but rather than
"image=/vmlinuz" use "image= /boot/vmlinuxTEST" (or what ever you named it)
and rather than "label=Linux" use "lable=Test"

then save lilo.conf and run "lilo" on the comand line. it should tell you
what it added to the list, and if it throws up some crap at the begining
about issues with the bios...welll, I ignore them since it worked before on
my bios.

reboot and load the new kernel and if you do not get any kernel panics than
you can safely move /boot/vmlinuzTEST to /boot/vmlinuz. after, run lilo and
it will tell you that it is skiping Test (there is no longer an image for
that entry)