Re: Disk Problems with kernel-image-2.4.19-686

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:45:54PM +0100, Andreas Weigl wrote:
> Hi
>
> First of all, I'm new to this list and new to Debian. I had Suse before, but
> since i tried Debian, I like it more and more.

:)  I too, use both, and my laptops have been debian-only for awhile.
> I had the same Problem with SuSE 2.4.19 but it booted when I said ide=nodma.
> This does not work with the Debian Kernel.

. . . snip . . .

> I want 2.4.19 because the linux-wlan-ng modules are only available for 2.4.19.
> Yes, I could compile it myself, but I want to make an apt-get update to get a
> new one, instead of compiling it myself again and again :)
>
> Any suggestions?

SuSE offers the config file with the options that they mark;  Debian
offers kernel-package, to create "standard style" kernel-image packages
that meet your real environment.

So with a copy of SuSE's 2.4.x config file to hand, you should be able
to make your own .deb that is similar enough to not crash, and maybe be
leaner in other respects, but that will also accept loose 2.4.19 family
modules via apt-get.

Give yourself a flavour of "local" or the name of your laptop, instead
of "386" or "k7" etc. and you'll be able to tell the normal images from
your own.  It's nice to apt-get new bits, not so nice when they get
themselves by accident.  (Yes, I know about Hold.  Trust me on this -
you don't want to depend on only that to save a kernel from overwrite.
Do it anyway, but take no chances.)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078