Re: running debian on a laptop - Sony Vaio

I had been running Redhat 7.1 on my Vaio PCG-fx190 for nearly a year
(I've been running redhat since it was the base to caldera preview 1)
and when I replaced the noisy harddrive I tried installing Debian.

There was a weird problem where it would not boot all of the way, but
would just hang, this was right after installation, but that problem
magically fixed itself.

I also had a problem with my XF86Config file breaking, and a lot of my
confusion in trying to fix that came from having a spare copy in /root
that X was reading rather than the copy in /etc/X11.

I have a page about running Linux on the vaio at:
http://red4est.red4est.com/vaiodiva/

And have notes on running Debian on it at:
http://red4est.red4est.com/vaiodiva/debian/

Hopefully my notes will help some other folks.  I also set up a yahoo
group for linux on the vaios at:

I've got a wealth of questions myself about getting debian dialed in:

If I run the screen at 1400x1050 with 16 bit color it is happy. But if
I run it at 24 bits, at that resolution, I get vertical lines. What
are the values that I need to tweak to deal with the vertical lines,
or the horizontal line snow that I often see on poorly tuned X screens
on LCDs?

Is there some reason that SuperProbe doesn't seem to be available in
the standard set of packages?

Has anyone gotten sound to work on their Vaio?  I hear that Emperor
Linux has figured out all the configuration stuff for that, but they
don't publish their configuration files.

When in "text mode", the console only uses the center of the
screen. What do I need to do to get it to use the whole screen,
preferably in the smaller font so it has a lot more characters, but
I'd be happy  to have the same number of lines and columns in a larger
font.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.