Re: How to manager different network environments?

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 05:42, Craig Genner wrote:
> I'm going to be in a similar situation soon where I will be swapping network
> locations but I will be using an inbuilt network device, not a pcmcia card.
> How would I also get to autodetect when the network cable has been plugged
> in and then start the network services, and stop the same services when it
> is unplugged.
> With pcmcia you just look for the card but it would be harder with a network
> cable

Yes.  I plug my cable in before opening the lid, and then whereami runs
on the apm resume event.

I want to add some sort of cable detection daemon though, and trigger on
that, or get one of the existing ones to provide a it more of an
interface that whereami can use.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/