Re: image vs. source

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 05:36:53PM -0500, Drew Cohan wrote:
> I installed Debian 3.0r0 via floppy.  I used the 2.2.20-idepci 2.2.20-5
> version.  Now I need to add/change some kernel options.  Where is the
> kernel source for this version?  Can I use the non-idepci kernel source?
> These are the packages I find on debian.org:
>
> kernel-source-2.2.20 2.2.20-5
> kernel-headers-2.2.20-idepci 2.2.20-5
> kernel-image-2.2.20-idepci 2.2.20-5
>
> Will someone please tell me what I need to download to change/add kernel
> features and recompile.

apt-get install this these:

  kernel-source-$VERSION
  kernel-package
  gcc
  libc6-dev
  libncurses5-dev

If you decide to change to a 2.4 kernel, you should also get hotplug.

To use:

  0) read the documentation that came with kernel-package
  1) unpack the source tarball that is installed
  2) enter into its directory
  3) make menuconfig
  4) select your options
  5) make-kpkg clean
  6) make-kpkg --revision=foo kernel_image
  7) install the new kernel-image package
  8) reboot

--
Seneca