SVGATextMode on Neomagic 256AV(NM2200) ?

Hi,
I'd like to get back to more use of text modes on my laptop. A Gateway Solo 5150 with the NM220 (2.5Mb Video RAM) and a 14.1in TFT screen (1024*768x24bit@75Hz).

I've searched for information on text modes on the NM2200 but found nothing relevant.

The documents on XFree86 etc have me thoroughly confused. I tried the suggested 100x37x8_SVGA, which would be bearable but that needs a higher pixel rate than that suggested. I cannot afford to damage the LCD so thought I might ask other users of their experiences before pushing my luck:)

Has anyone tried SVGATextMode on this hardware at 130x50 with a reasonable charcter size?

TIA,
     Tim Wood