disaster disk-crash, help needed (aditional info)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, A. Demarteau (linux rules!) wrote:

> dear linux-users,
> cron was getting frustrated on a program it was running, not finding data
> on my /var/www/ partition.
> After runnign e2fsck (giving a lot fo errorstuff)
> e2fsck refuses now to find any superblock at all, even with blocksize 4096
> ando/or superblock 32768 as options.
aditional info:

the cron-message reads:
/etc/cron.daily/standard:
find: /var/www/flag: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/inventory: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/addressdb: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/budgetsystem: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/index.php: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/moviedb: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/php: Input/output error
find: /var/www/internal/tcpl: Input/output error

e2fsck reads:
e2fsck: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
trying to open /dev/hdc1
Could this be a zero-length partition?

> I fear that I either destroyed the disk or the filesystem.
> Is there any tool around to get any remaining readable data from the disk
> (if any)?

> Andor Demarteau
> linux@disnet.demon.nl

Andor Demarteau