Thinkpad 760 X windows problem

I have just got woody and I am trying to set it up on my IBM Thinkpad 760EL. After initial problems I have found out that despite XFree86 claiming to support the Trident Cyber 9385 driver, it doesn't work and I need to downgrade XFree to 3.x. I am aware that this can be done from the CD's that I have but don't know how to do it (with dselect I suppose). Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find information on how to do this. I am a linux veteran of 5 days so very basic information is what I need. I think I need to remove XServer-XFree85 4.1 and add XServer-XF86_SVGA (this is the required server for my card). Once this is done does xf96config still work or will I have to make a manual config and if so can someone direct me to where I can find information on doing this.

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp