Re: Combo DVD/CDRW drive

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply

> > 2) which interface should I go for? they offer pcmcia 16 bit or 32 bit
> > paralell, usb and firewire.
>
> USB 1.1 devices (most laptops) have very slow connections -- you would
> be lucky to get 4x CD writing working.

They also have a USB 2 interface. Is this faster the USB 1.1 and would
it be supported in the newest kernels. I forgot to mention I am using
Debian unstable with a custom 2.4.17 and I am planning to install
2.14.19 soon, if I can find some spare time...

> I would suggest getting the Firewire device, because it's the best
> supported of them all, but read up on the 1394 support available at
> <http://linux1394.org/> first.

I had the suspicion this would be the best bet but in this case I
guess I need a firewire adapter since I don't have a firewire
connector in my laptop. Any sugestions here on any particular model?

> The 32bit PCMCIA is as good as a PCI card, performance wise, but you
> need to know if the card in question is supported by Linux PCMCIA first.
> Make sure you check that.

AMACOM says the 32 bit pcmcia interface is supported. I could not find
any information on freecom.

Thanks again for your help,

Luis

                  Astrophysics Group
   Luís E Mendes  Imperial College        Tel. +44 (0)20 7594 7539
                  Blackett Laboratory     Fax. +44 (0)20 7594 7541
                  Prince Consort Road
                  London, SW7 2BW
                  United Kingdom