Re: kcore eating my disk space

David Gardiner <daveg@sonartech.com.au> writes:

> what is /proc/kcore and why is it eating up my disk space?????
> i.e.
> 262573 -r--------    1 root     root     268349440 Oct 16 08:59 kcore
> and a couple of minutes later
>  0 -r--------    1 root     root     320598016 Oct 16 09:03 kcore
>  ^                                                   ^
>   |                                                    |
> and why is it's size 0 blks and also have a size of 320598016 bytes
> i'm running with kernel 2.4.17
>
> Yeah the obvious answer from it's name is it's a kernel core dump, but
> thats just a guess! a real explanation would be good and how do I get
> rid of it would be better.

The `files' below /proc are not real files.  They are a file oriented
interface to information that lives in your running kernel.  I would
think kcore gives (read-only) access to the memory currently used.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH