Re: 2.4 kernel tweaking

Harald Staub, 2002-Oct-15 08:18 +0200:

> I have just disabled noflushd, after seeing all the interesting information
> in this thread and after some estimations.
>
> My Inspiron 4100 has a battery with 59Wh. With my kind of work, I can
> expect that this is enough for about 3h, so it needs about 20W. The disk
> needs about 2W. So if I was able to half that, my consumption would fall to
> 19W, or I would gain about 10 minutes. In my case, I think this is not
> worth the disadvantages for the disk, which I overlooked first.
>
> Harry

I have a Latitude CPx J series and the battery savings haven't been
noticeable for me.  However, I will continue to use noflushd because
this HDD is so loud it drives my nuts after awhile.  When it spins
down I immediately feel a sense of relief?  So, noflushd is a means of
stress reduction...ought to add that to it's description  :-)  !

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User