Re: backup

On Oct 04, 2002 at 11:50 +1000, Joyce, Matthew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running woody v3 / 2.4.18 on an old tosh laptop.
>
> It is the only linux box I have at the moment, and I was wondering how I
> should go about backup it up.
>
> I have heaps of diskspace on various win2k boxes, perhaps I could tar what I
> want and ftp it.
>
> Is there some software which will backup specified folders only, and some
> config files, some email and stuff like that.
>
> Any ideas ?

I have a household firewall/server with a CD-R drive, and I use a
combination of cdbackup and tar on the server to pull files from my
laptop via ssh, and record backup CD's.  Unfortunately I'm away from
home so I can't give you my scripts, but they're pretty simple, just a
couple lines of shell commands to tar the directories I want, and feed
them right into cdbackup.

tar'ing your stuff and storing it on some other computer's hard drive
works fine as well.  tar has plenty of options for selecting the dirs
you want; excluding others, etc.  Just read the man page for ideas.

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com