Re: Install on X22 without floppy and cdrom

Hi,

At Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:31:22 +0100,
Dave Swegen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:56:44PM -0700, River Y. Liu wrote:
> > Does someboby have the experience of installing Linux on Ibm Thinkpad
> > X22? My machine is Windows 2000 preinstalled, which can't be booted in
> > Linux from pure Dos mode.  I didn't buy Ultra base because I have
> > network at home. I probably only use it for installing. I just bought an
> > IDE 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and tried to put the hard disk of the X22 into
> > my desktop computer. After installed Linux and put it back to the
> > laptop, I found out I can't boot, it prompted "disk I/O error". So it
> > failed. Somebody has any idea?
>
> I did exactly the same with my X21, and it worked just fine. Did a basic
> install just to get basic networking up and running, moved the HD back
> to the X21, and completed the install over the network.

> Not very helpful I know, but the install in other computer approach is
> the correct one to take.

I installed Debian potato in Thinkpad X21 using recovery area.
X21 (and also newer thinkpad) has 'recovery disk area'. This area is
formatted as FAT, so I installed 'loadlin' and some files into this
area. Then I booted up from recovery disk (of course I renamed
config.sys and autoexec.bat).

And there is better solution if you have USB-Floppy drive.
I created Woody USB-floppy installer image.
You can download from 'http://www.debian.or.jp/~kmuto/usb/'.
Write *.bin image by rawrite2 and boot, type 'linux root=/dev/sda' on
'boot:' prompt.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto