Re: Using PS/2 and ImPS/2 in X

On Monday 15 July 2002 04:29, Jeff wrote:
> Oh Ye Debian Guru's!
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CPx with the combo touchpad and stylus
> (eraser-head) mouse.  These input devices share the PS/2 interface
> along with the PS/2 connector on the back of the laptop.  Also, this
> touchpad/stylus is a regular 2-button mouse.  I have the BIOS set so
> that if I have a mouse connected, the touchpad/stylus don't work.
>
> No to my problem: I want to be able to plug in a 3-button mouse with
> the scroll wheel, however X is configured for a 2-button mouse with
> 3-button emulation.  So, I change the X config to use the 3-button
> mouse and scroll wheel, but when I disconnect that mouse and the
> touchpad/stylus come alive it doesn't work since I have the ImPS/2
> driver running on that device (/dev/mouse (psaux)).
>
> My current work-around is to swap out the X config file based on the
> mouse I want to use.  But this is kind of a pain.  Is there a way to
> plug either a 2-button, 3-button w/ scrollwheel, or none (use the
> built-in touchpad/stylus) and just have it work?

Well, I would say to use the new input layer for the linux-kernel, but I dont
think it is maintained for 2.4 anymore, but it has been merged into 2.5-dj.
At any rate, this will be a lot easier in 2.6. (The kernel detects what mouse
you are using and translates it to imps/2 in all cases) (X should work this
way, but it seems that the XFree86 people dont give a shit about
autodetecting input devices)