Re: Boot Loader

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 12:41:15PM +0200, R.Stepanyan wrote:
> Hello, everyone
>
> My question concerns boot loaders which I am going to use on Asus A1
> series laptops.
>
> Basically I need to install into hda mbr a boot loader which
> 1) is menu driven (don't ask why) - so, not LiLo

LILO with graphic image attached into it can be menu driven...  but it's
a bit of work to setup correctly.

GAG (type this into Freshmeat to find its homepage) is a very nice and
pleasant bootloader, knows about a bunch of OS types and is controlled
completely within itself.  (a bit more like CMOS setups than like "normal"
boot loaders, even MSwin, making you come into the OS to adjust them)

It also offers cute icons :)

I think there's a debian package for chos -- perhaps that's more to your
taste?

> 2) will work with Win98 installed on hda1 and Linux on hda3 (LiLo is on
> hda3 to boot linux) - I know, win98 writes smth to the boot sector from
> time to time. So, I do not want to reinstall the boot loader each time I
> make an update in Win98.

> 3) supports boot after hybernation in Win

I'm afraid for these matters the only thing you can do is start fetching
each boot loader in turn and experimenting.  But GAG has antivirus features
so I assume it makes some effort to not get overwritten by mswin itself
either.

> 4) is relyable  :)

Hmm, lilo fails you?

> I used to use NT loader (it was Win2k + Linux on the machines), but now
> is going to downgrade to Win98.

Win9x has a menu-oriented boot loader too;  if you want to use that, keep
a copy of LOADLIN amd make sure you have a copy of your correct kernel in
DOS space.

I recommend keeping 'em in C:\LINUX

> The reason is: Windows has to reside on
> its own partition, but be able to boot:
> A. normally, using this boot loader
> B. from VMWare, installed in Linux - that's what win2k failed

I can't really help you with win2k but I suppose you're giving up on it
anyway.

> Any piece of advice is appreciated.
> Thanks in advance
>
> RS