Re: exciting dial up question

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 01:30:24PM +0300, Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:34:14 -0000
> <stuarth@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > As a debian novice I get a little lost. Today's problem is that though
> > I run wvdial OK, which runs the modem OK, when I then launch Opera it
> > doesn't seem to know that the PC is online, and so can't access the
> > web. There is something no doubt obvious I am failing to do. Can
> > someone help me?
>
> Write your provider's nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf.
> Or setup local dnrd (a .deb package available) to automatically hanlde
> this.

And make sure your routing table is setup appropriately (cf "netstat -r").

Do you have an ethernet port as well as modem on your computer?
I have an ethernet/modem combo card.  When I plug it in the ethernet port
(eth0) gets switched on by default, and the gateway gets set for it.
Then when I dialup via the modem, the connection is made, but because the
gateway is already defined for eth0, it doesn't get set a second time for
the modem ppp connection.  This means my computer has no route into the
modem connection, so it looks as though I can't access the net (which I
can't).  I work around this by explicitly switching eth0 off
(ifconfig eth0 down) before dialing up.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A