Re: pcmcia-cs package bug?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:35:44PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "glynis" == glynis  <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com> writes:
>     glynis> i don't have my eth0 pc card listed, since cardmgr runs
>     glynis> /etc/pcmcia/network, which runs dhclient for me.
> This might not be helpful, but I know that recent versions of
> pcmcia-cs specifically detect Debian systems, and invoke ifup/ifdown
> instead of doing the "usual" thing. I remember upgrading pcmcia-cs
> just so I could use that feature. Is there a specific reason you are
> fighting it?

i am not knowingly fighting any evolutions in pcmcia-cs.  i tried
switching it to use /etc/network/interfaces, and insmod instead of
modprobe when it finds $PC.  it failed again with:
---
Apr 24 02:25:18 density cardmgr[26054]: starting, version is 3.1.33
Apr 24 02:25:18 density cardmgr[26054]: watching 1 sockets
Apr 24 02:25:18 density cardmgr[26054]: Card Services release does not
match
---
and that's it.

if i switched the insmods to modprobes as below, it would then proceed
to see both sockets, load the modules for the card, and actually fire
off 2 dhclients, which doesn't seem right either.  i tried both
DHCP="n" and DHCP="y" in my /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  with the same
effect.

my change to /etc/init.d/pcmcia:
---
            if [ -d $PC ] ; then
                echo -n " modules"
                #/sbin/insmod $PC/pcmcia_core.o $CORE_OPTS
                #/sbin/insmod $PC/$PCIC.o $PCIC_OPTS
                #/sbin/insmod $PC/ds.o
                /sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core
                /sbin/modprobe $PCIC
                /sbin/modprobe ds
            elif [ -d $KD ] ; then
                /sbin/modprobe pcmcia_core
                /sbin/modprobe $PCIC
                /sbin/modprobe ds
            else
                echo " module directory $PC not found."
                break
            fi
---
taking the eth0 line out of /etc/network/interfaces kept dhclient from
running multiple times.

so i don't think my issue pertains to which way dhclient gets called,
but more with the way the script decides to load the initial modules.
a simple change from insmod to modprobe fixed it.

i would be interested in seeing how to properly have the scripts call
dhclient through /etc/network/interfaces.  i'll have to investigate
that further.

--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |