Re: debian laptop for a train hopper

--- Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

> You can afford a laptop but you can't afford a
> passenger train ticket?

i can't really afford either, but, as i need a
computer for my research and projects, i'll have to
find a way to get one.

train hopping is a very beautiful and empowering
experience. even if i could could afford to travel
other ways, i'd still train hop some.

> Probably if I was going to do what you're planning
> I'd get an old Thinkpad
> 385XD.  PentiumMMX-233, 96M of RAM, 3G hard drive,
> 800x600 display, it's
> quite an OK little machine.  Such a machine is so
> cheap now that if you break
> one you won't be too upset, and if someone tries to
> mug you for it then you
> won't do anything too stupid (also you could just
> tell the mugger how old and
> cheap it was and they might leave you with it).

yes, i'll probably end up getting a used machine, and
thank you for the recommendation.  i'll do some more
research on this model

much thanks,
jason.