Re: Debian PC Requirements

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, James Hirschorn wrote:

> Speaking of XF86 4.2, I would really like to be running it for the
> driver support for my card. So I was thinking of making a .deb from the
> source, just to prevent dependency problems. Obviously this .deb
> wouldn't follow any of the Debian conventions. Any ideas on this?

Packaging X is more grief than you want. I used to hybridise Debian Xfree86
4.1 with some stuff from Xfree86 cvs to produce a package for may laptop
for a while (until the patches I needed got merged in) and it was...
a little involved. You're better off waiting for the experimental packages
to turn up on Branden's site - check out the X Strike Force page at

   http://people.debian.org/~branden/

for updates.

[ also, it takes about 3 billion years to compile, so if you've made a
  mistake, you're in for another soul-destroying debug cycle...        ]

--
Everyone would _like_ a first. By the time you get to the third year,
you become more fatalistic, until you get to the point when a kippered