Re: PCMCIA network problems at startup

On 4 Apr 2002, Joshua Penix wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about the interaction between /etc/network/interfaces
> and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  My understanding is that the information
> in /etc/network/interfaces takes precedence, and eliminates the need to
> set anything in network.opts.
the ifup and ifdown scripts are afaik not called upon insertion of a
pcmcia card.

> Or should I be setting DHCP="y" in network.opts?  If I do so, should I
> remove the eth0 line from interfaces?  Any other suggestions?  I'm a bit
> new to all of this, so perhaps I'm missing something obvious.
Yes, if you are configuring a pcmcia-card, you should indeed put it's
config options in the network.opt file.
In your case dhcp="yes"
If there si no buildin network device on your laptop (meanign that the
network pcmcia-card will eb assigned to eth0) then remove all lines from
the /etc/network/interfaces file (or uncomment them with # ).

Your pcmcia-config will configure and bring up eth0 in that case.

success!