Mouse and trackpad problems

I am a new almost happy Debian (sid) user. After a day of struggle with my
notebook and my dsl provider I succedeed in a net install of sid. The main
problem was my video card: a SiS 630. Since its driver distributed with the
XFree86 4.0 server does not work for the moment I choosed to install the
XF86_FBDev server (in the next future I want to read the page at
http://www.webit.at/~twinny/linuxsis630.shtml and to try more functional
solutions) and to use it; so I replaced the symlink in /etc/X11/ to point to
XF86_FBDev, I downloaded an XF86Config file that worked for another user
with my same video card, compiled the kernel (2.2.20) to have support for
the framebuffer device and add the line 'vga=791' to lilo.conf (I don't know
why is this needed but without it the server doesn't work) and have X
starting (with WindowMaker). But the trackpad is completely unusable (and
the same for the additional ps/2 mouse I have). I don't really know what I
have to write in XF86Config about mouse section; for the moment I have:

Protocol     "PS/2"
Device       "/dev/psaux"
Emulate3Buttons
Emulate3Timeout  50

and gpm is configured as '-m /dev/psaux -t autops2 -Rms3'.
Before I had installed another distro, RH 7.1, and I had no problems with
trackpad. Could you give me some suggestions on how to configure XF86Config
and/or gpm?
Thanks in advance.
               Riccardo Gusso