Re: AMD's PowerNow?

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Brett Sealey wrote:
> There's been a bit of bitching about the lack of info from vendors but
> no-one has picked up on Mark's comment, and talked about ACPI.
>
> I've got an AMD notebook with PowerNow and ACPI support (in BIOS) and
> have exchanged email with someone who said that theirs (same model,
> but higher clock speed) was overheating UNTIL they enabled ACPI in the
> linux kernel.
>
> I'm just getting around to doing it myself but the direct implication
> is that ACPI allowed his linux laptop to run cooler...
>
> So, any comments on how ACPI helps? Can it exploit PowerNow or is it
> something else that makes it run cooler?

It can, in theory, do anything that APM can do, including drop the CPU
speed, invoke PowerNow and the like.

I don't know about the practice, though. It's supposed to be reasonably
good at what it does, day to day, but I don't really use it.

        Daniel

--
It's disconcerting to realize how little you have to say to
someone who once occupied such a prominent place in your bed.