Re: Problem with TP600 console

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 04:30:25PM -0500, Muthukrishnan, Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got my TP 600 from ebay yesterday, I wiped off the win95 which was
> there on the
> HDD and tried installing woody on it. I had only the first CD. I could
> easily install the base system with no problems, but there is a problem
> now. While it booted win95, it used to come full screen. The moment I
> boot the woody CD, it goes into a small screen (may be i/3 of the sceen
> real estate)
> at the center of the 13.3" screen. Now everything comes only in that
> area. What could be the problem? The surrounding area of the displayed
> area are all blank. May be X will come properly, I haven't
> tried so far, but I want to have console properly, as I want to read
> mails etc in console. Have anyone encountered this while installing
> debian on the TP600?

The cause of the shrunken screen lies in the "display stretch" setting.
LCD panels do not scale the pixels in the same way as a CRT, so if your
panel's maximum resolution is 800x600, anything smaller than that
doesn't take up the entire screen.
	That is, unless you have display stretch turned on. This is usually
a setting in the BIOS, although there may be a user-space linux program
to control it for your machine. For X, if you run your display at the
maximum allowed by your panel, then you won't have any problem.

HTH,
--
Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# pgp keyid: C36DC30B

You don't move to Edina, you achieve Edina.
		-- Guindon