Re: AMD's PowerNow?

http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2001/Jul/0039.html

> Why would Intel create Speed-step cpus and then not let you know how
> to use it?

Why would IBM put a "thinkpad" button on their laptops, create a linux
tool to use it, and neither release the tool for general use nor tell
people how to use it?  Why do companies refuse to release info on
anything?

> Obviously you'll save power over a limited period of time if you slow down
> the machine - but where's the benefit?  It makes the application run longer,
> and your battery will probably still run out at the same point in your
> processing - just after a longer elapsed time.

That's assuming that it uses the same amount of power for the same
amount of computation, which is probably untrue.  CPUs wouldn't be the
first thing to be less efficient as they go faster.

If God is dead, who will save the Queen?