Re: AMD's PowerNow?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:27:24PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> > as a reasonable choice. (Am I right assuming SpeedStep _is_ supported?)

> As I understand it, speed-step is not supported because it's a typical
> kludge for Windows.  Linux doesn't need it because it idles when not busy
> instead of using busy loops.

It's not really a kluge - it's a fairly reasonable idea to drop the CPU
voltage and clock rate when it's not doing too much.  Even if you're
idling properly when you need to it's still cheaper to run at a lower
voltage and clock (particularly voltage - the cost of a state transition
on a transistor is directly related to the voltage it runs at).