Re: [Q] install debian on IBM Thinkpad X22

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 07:14, 정 하녕 wrote:

>  I've got X22 box and wanna install Debian on it.
>  I tried to boot from both cd(potato and sid) and floppy and kernel hanged
> after
>  "md ..." message.
>  I saw similar question on this mailing list with two follow-ups but those
> doesn't
>  seem to be helpful.
>  Anyone has successed with X22?

I have eventually managed to install Debian onto my X22.  Basically,
there is a bug in the kernel 2.2.17 (I think) which hangs when the md
driver loads on the X22. This is a common problem apparently and has
been fixed in later kernels.

Hunt around the net using Google and you'll find many Debian boot disk
sets using kernel 2.4.x (a google search for "debian boot floppy disk
2.4" should do the trick).  Create the floppies and boot with those.

The hardware is interesting...  in my model the modem and ethernet card
were internal but not directly supported by debian.  I have got the
network card working (its an Intel "e100" card, a module is in the
debian packages) but the only modem partially worked last time I tried
it (dialed out, but no connection).  Of course this does depend on
exactly what model you have.

I'll write notes about what I did one day and post them on the net.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                       jabber: rossburton@jabber.org