Re: radeon mobility

Jason Majors wrote:

> > >Is there a driver for the ati radeon mobility for x 4.1?
> > >I set my notebook up using the radeon driver, but X dies complaining that
> > >there are no devices available. Switching the Device line to "Standard VGA"
> > >brings it up, but at vga16.
>
> > Wat kind of laptop do you have?
>
> Compaq presario 2700.
> I'm starting to think that cygwin might be my only option.

I've the same chip on my laptop, running woody.
So, you have several possibilities :

- use the vesa framebuffer (worked for me),
- use the radeon framebuffer (didn't worked, but I never managed to run
the atyfb on any ati card),
- use the vesa driver in xfree 4.1 (works fine, but no acceleration),
- use the xfree 4.2 cvs (i did it : more than 1 Go of HD, but great
acceleration, GL modes, XV and so on ; only few refresh bugs).

I suggest not to try the 4th solution if you don't have expericence,
time and patience. IMHO, the 3rd one is the simplest.

--
  |oo|   | Sylvain Sauvage, doctorant [IAD & SMA]           |   |oo|