Installing on an IBM Thinkpad A30

I have encountered a problem that was mentioned (although not answered)
in December on the debian-cd and debian-boot lists. Here is the problem:

While trying to install 2.2r4 from CD onto my IBM Thinkpad A30, the installation
hangs after "md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8". The problem
persists even when I try to boot using "linux thinkpad=floppy".

I am a complete linux beginner, so I have no idea what to do. I have
tracked down 2 leads (besides the above mentioned posts in December,
which pose the problem but did not draw any responses). The first is
from an old posting at:

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=2491185&list=242

which suggests that I should disable the driver that is loaded after
the md driver. I don't know how I would do this.

The second lead is from someone's personal website which reads as follows:

"Debian won't install on the ThinkPad: the standard kernel freezes after
"md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8". Further research reveals
it
to be the SCSI probe in fdomain.c."

Again, I am too much a beginner to take this information and run with
it!

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Howard

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com