HP Omnibook 4100 was Re: IRQ Conflicts ?

On Friday 11 January 2002 03:17 pm, Doc wrote:
> Al:
>
>    What sound card are you runing, please?  I am so far unable
> to get my CS4237B card recognized. (That is what the HP site
> says is in it.)

I too, have an Omnibook 4100 (2.4.8 kernel) with that same sound chip, and
have spent a few hours on this recently to varying degrees of success.
I cheated a bit and installed sndconfig.
I had to play with the manual settings for the sound chip in the BIOS before
I got to hear Linus yapping out my speakers (manually clearing out
modules.conf and rmmod'ing after each failed attempt helped). On this kernel
I've been able to get it to use the sb module - *not* the CS42xx module. SOX
output is fine...crisp and clear so far. However, OSS and alsa have been
total crap...at least as far as the xmms outputs go. When I have more time to
play, I'll work more on those. According to the Omnibook 4100 page I came
across, http://www.urbaczewski.com/omnibooklinux.htm , commercial OSS drivers
were necessary to get it running, at least for the 2.2.16 kernel with Suse
7.0. I'd like to try and avoid that if possible.

>    I am also running into video conflicts on my 4100.  Did you
> have to do anything special?  (I have the 14" LCD.)

I have the 13.3" display here, using XFree 4.1.0. XFree's config found the
Neomagic video without a problem. I set it up for a Generic Laptop Display,
1024x768 and it's got Blackbox looking pretty sharp. Previously, I'd had it
setup for the Generic Laptop Display, 800x600 and it looked like utter
garbage...1024x768 was the way to go for me.
Hope this is appropriate, and helps. I've been reading this list for some
time now, but not posted before.

-Rob