Re: DPKG problem

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:26:10 -0600
Matt Reynolds <debian@loopysoft.com> wrote:
> I have "lost" my /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status
> files in a FS error.  Beyond the actual errors themselves, how do I
> recover/regenerate these files?  I poked in the archives and found
> some resounding answers saying "Um, no", but I'm hoping I can hack on
> it.

As somebody else has already mentioned, /var/lib/dpkg/available can be
regenerated easily. 'apt-get update' then 'apt-cache dumpavail >
/var/lib/dpkg/available' should do it. You could also do a 'dselect
update'.

As for /var/lib/dpkg/status ... ick :| If /var/lib/dpkg/status-old
doesn't exist, then check /var/backups/ to see if you've got a copy in
there. It might be out of date(which means you would have to re-remove
packages you've removed, and re-upgrade/install packages that have been
upgraded/installed since that particular version was backed up), but
it's better than nothing.

Enjoy. :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \