Re: DPKG problem

Matt Reynolds <debian@loopysoft.com> writes:

> This may not be the appropriate list for this, but as I'm not sure
> what the proper list is, I will throw myself at your collective
> mercy.
>
> I have "lost" my /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status
> files in a FS error.  Beyond the actual errors themselves, how do I
> recover/regenerate these files?  I poked in the archives and found
> some resounding answers saying "Um, no", but I'm hoping I can hack
> on it.
>
> I have said files on other boxes, of fairly similar configuration.
> Can I hack on those files to get them into a working configuration?

/var/lib/dpkg/available shouldn't matter---just copy across another
one from a machine with the same /etc/apt/sources.list.  I presume
this means you also don't have /var/lib/dpkg/status-old?

It doesn't look to me like /var/lib/dpkg/status contains information
that would be impossible to construct reasonably satisfactorily from
other sources.

Ignoring packages that have been uninstalled but still have config
information lying around, I'd have thought just getting a list of
installed packages (using "ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list"?) and using
the information from /var/lib/dpkg/available would be pretty much OK
(adding "Status: install ok installed")?

I'd have thought the worst that would be likely to happen would be
that dpkg would get confused when reinstalling uninstalled packages
for which configuration in fact exists.

But all that seems too simple, and people do recommend reinstalling,
so possibly I'm missing something important?

[...]

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect	<URL:http://www.MessagingDirect.com/>