Re: FireWire PCMCIA card ?

Hi !

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 08:06:43AM -0800, Michael Perry wrote:
> Quoting Helios de Creisquer on Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 05:00:39PM +0100:
[snip]
> > But, the question is: Is anyone of us get a PCMCIA FireWire adapter and
> > plugged a disk on it ? Is it working ? any Success-stories around ? :)
> >
> I don't have a success story myself, but I found this by David Hinds,
> the keeper of the pcmcia stuff on pcmcia firewire cards:
>
> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

FYI,

I've got a 'conceptronic CON1394C Firewire PC Card'. This card is not
listed anywhere but is very cheap... and it works well (unless you
unplug the disk even unmounted: forget your uptime) :)

I plugged on it a generic Firewire/ATA-100 box and all is working very
well... with kernel 2.4.17 (iee1394 ohci + sbp2 support enabled.)

I'll send the card references to David Hints soon...

But ! there is a problem anyway: the sbp2 protocol identify the external
Hard Drive as a SCSI disk (/dev/sda). So I can't run something like
hdpam on it :( and the speed really sucks...

Anyone have an idea on how to optimize that sort of things ? (3Mo/s is
SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW)...

SYL, and oh! Happy New Year :)
--
Hélios de Creisquer <helios@balios.org>