Re: graphic acceleration /debian

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 16:28, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 December 2002 00:49, Samuel Desseaux wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've got a wonderful laptop (dell inspiron) which works very well with
> > woody. My graphic card is an Ati Radeon 7500 but i don't know how could i
> > have the acceleration for it. Yours ideas are welcome.
>
> Well, same problem here. I have an IBM ThinkPad A31, which uses the same
> graphic card. The card is a ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility. I upgraded XFree86 to
> 4.2.1 (on sarge), and 2D accelleration is ok, and it works with the dafault
> resouloution and color depth. But though in XFree86's documentation it is
> written that 3D accelleration is provided for Radeon 7500, it seems it
> doesn't work here. From time to time, I wonder if Radeon 7500 is the same as
> 7500 Mobility. I mean if XFree86 claims that their driver supports 3D
> accelleration for 7500, does that mean 3D acceleration is also provided for
> 7500 Mobility? Or are these diffrent from each other?

I have an ATI 7500 Mobility (in my Vaio), which has working 2D and 3D
acceleration. You do, however, need X 4.2.1 (sarge or sid) rather than X
4.0 (woody). Relevant sections of my XF86Config-4 file are pasted below:

Section "Module"
      Load    "GLcore"
      Load    "dri"
      Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon Mobility"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option          "AGPMode" "1"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Make sure you have DRM support enabled in the kernel (the radeon and
agpgart modules). You need to either insert them before you start X, or
compile them directly into the kernel. Also, make sure you have a
/dev/dri file. Finally, this configuration is pretty insecure - it lets
any user write to the DRI device. This is probably okay if you're not
running any external login services, but if you are you want to use
"Mode 0660", and only let users in some group you create (say, "dri")
write to the files in /dev/dri.

HTH.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>