Re: Yet another "what laptop should I buy?" question

This is a biased opinion (I do work for HP), but I've
been pretty happy with the Compaq Evo laptops.  I've
got an n400c (running Debian testing) and a colleague
has an n800v (running Debian unstable, I think).

Even though these have a winmodem, it's at least a
Lucent one so I can get a driver for it that does
work.  With the wireless module attached, it's pretty
handy and quite light weight.  I haven't tried all
the hardware on it yet, but CD-RW, LAN, modem all
seem to behave; I haven't messed with ACPI, and the
IrDA port is something I'd like to play with sometime.
Having 512MB RAM is pretty nice, too.

I have no idea what the price will be.  I'm not even
sure how much mine cost :-).

jmarant@nerim.net wrote:
Dominik Woelfl <moeglichkeit@gmx.at> a écrit :

hi,

ever thought about an acer?
i am running a travelmate 610txv. it has nice dimensions (small) and weights
about 2.5 kg with cd/dvd module.
debian is running very well except for the lucent amr winmodem (apm, etc works

nice).
it is also robust (magnesium protected) and i dropped it a few times without
harming the laptop.
i think it is cheaper than buying an ibm notebook, but i do not know how the new

series (630xxx, aspire, etc) work.

I'll have a look. Thanks!

Cheers,

Webmail Nerim, http://www.nerim.net/